Are you looking for a fun and delicious DIY project you can create for your guinea pig or other small pet? With some Oxbow hay, natural string, and the yummy greens of your choice, you can create this fun and enriching Hay Snack Wreath!
DIY Wreath Instructions
- Your pet’s favorite Oxbow hay (Orchard Grass is used in the video)
- Untreated paper string (or other natural fiber, such as jute)
- Pesticide-free, washed greens that are appropriate for your pet’s species (dandelion and white clover are used in the video)
- On a clean table-top, form a loose wreath shape with fresh hay.
- Wrap and knot the string around a small bundle of hay toward the top of the wreath shape.
- Pick up a portion of hay near the knot and wrap the string around the handful. The wrapped string should be tight enough to bundle the hay.
- Continue wrapping the string around hay to form bundles one handful at a time. This should be forming a long, continuous hay bundle. There might be some thin spots, but that can be fixed later.
- When you’re ready, combine the two ends of the long hay bundle to each other. Tousle both ends while combining, so the hay strands can catch on each other and hold the shape of a ring.
- Wrap the string around the combined area of the wreath. This should be a well-wrapped area to make sure the ends don’t come undone.
- Working in the same direction as you constructed the wreath, fill in any thin spots with more hay, wrapping with string to secure it.
- When you’re happy with the overall shape of the wreath, cut the string and knot it onto some of the loops close by.
- If desired, trim any loose hay strands. Make sure to not cut too close to the wreath!
- Secure your pesticide-free, species-appropriate greens and flowers onto the wreath by tucking them underneath the string. Long stems might have to be wrapped to the back of the wreath and secured behind string again.
- Give the wreath to your pet, and enjoy some supervised playtime together!